Fleet management software provides businesses with access to the right data in a format that is easy to understand. The cloud-based platform provides the information decision-makers need for success, from location information and vehicle diagnostics to driver behaviour and beyond. Modern fleet management software incorporates artificial intelligence and machine learning to quickly help businesses spot and solve anomalies. This article explores how an investment in fleet management software can reduce manager workload, decrease company costs, increase vehicle and equipment efficiency, and improve customer relationships.
What is fleet management software and how does it work?
Fleet management software enables fleet managers to continually monitor their vehicles, equipment, and drivers from a single application. Examples of software capabilities include:
- Locating specific vehicles
- Monitoring driver behaviour and measuring performance
- Managing and reducing fuel costs
- Scheduling vehicle/equipment maintenance
- Managing jobs from assignment to completion
- Simplifying compliance
The technology is powered by telematics devices that capture information about vehicle movement, driver behaviour and operational activities. These devices transmit data from the vehicle to the cloud via cellular or satellite communication networks, and the data is then interpreted and visualised in the fleet management software.
The software provides instant access to information including vehicle location, utilisation, compliance (EDL), maintenance and more on an easy-to-understand dashboard. Some systems also provide advanced insights into job status, driver behaviour and route optimisation.
A vital aspect of any fleet management software is providing actionable insights that help the business identify opportunities for improvement and take action. Teletrac Navman offers fleet management software that is powered by AI, enabling users to ask questions and get instant answers.
See the video below about our insights feature:
Why Do Businesses Invest in Fleet Management Software?
One of the biggest challenges for any business is controlling costs. For fleet managers, reducing spending means continually analysing data and determining where to cut back. The more vehicles or pieces of equipment the company owns, the more challenging this becomes. Some of the main areas business look at for cost control are:
- Fuel usage
- Wages (including overtime)
- Maintenance & repairs
- Vehicle & equipment rental
Fleet management software helps managers understand factors that impact costs and figure out how they can be reduced.
Driver safety and regulatory compliance are driving factors. Fleet management software helps ensure businesses stay compliant with Road User Charges and national laws. It also provides insights into driver behaviour which are often used to create personalised coaching programs and driver safety incentive schemes.
How Do Businesses Use Fleet Management Software?
Here are some common ways companies use this software to improve fleet management, driver safety and their bottom line:
- Preventative maintenance scheduling to avoid unplanned downtime. Top-rated fleet management software obtains data by pulling it from the vehicle’s OBD-II or other diagnostics port to provide visibility into the odometer, battery, engine, gas tank, and other components.
- Monitoring driver behaviour allows fleet managers to reward positive driving and measure driver speeding and unsafe driving events. Real-time and instructor-led coaching help to create a safer working environment for your drivers.
- Fuel consumption analysis to determine patterns of inefficient fuel use by vehicle, driver, or route. Reducing engine idling and unauthorised vehicle use are also key areas where businesses reduce fuel costs.
- Job Dispatch and management enable single jobs and run sheets to be assigned a tracked through to completion via connected applications.